Top Ad unit 728 × 90

Police Arrest Ex-Niger Tornadoes Footballer, Seven Others for Robbery

Nura Mohammed, an ex-footballer who played for Niger Tornadoes Football Club of Minna, Niger State, was paraded on Wednesday at the Lagos State Police Command Headquarters, Ikeja, alongside seven others for armed robbery.


The other gang members were identified as Manven Bali, Chekwube Emeka, Ejike Chukwuemeka, Jacob Ali, Titus Johana and Richard Augustine.

The suspects who were paraded by the state Commissioner of Police, Kayode Aderanti, had confessed on how they carried out different armed robbery operations within the state.

The ex footballer who was alleged to be the receiver of the stolen vehicles, Mohammed, also confessed on how the gang snatched a Honda CRV Jeep, 2013 model belonging to a Channels Television staff at gunpoint.

Mohammed who confessed that his group had been in the business of snatching cars for over five years, said his role was usually to receive and dispose the stolen vehicles in Niger Republic.

He said; "I was formerly a cow dealer in Lagos. I sell cows at Agege Abattoir, but some time in 2005, I incurred a debt of about N2.6 million. I ran away from Lagos when I could not pay up my debt and the person I owe the money was breathing down on me.

"I left Lagos to Abuja where I stayed briefly. I later left Abuja for Minna, Niger State and in the process I joined Niger Tornados Football Club in 2011.

"I was signed for N150,000. Our coach then was Ladan Bosso. A year later, I quit football when I sustained injury on my leg and I went back to Abuja where I started a viewing centre business.

"It was a young man who sells soft drinks by the side of my viewing centre that first introduced me into the business of receiving stolen vehicle," confessed the ex footballer."

Apparently, this was not the first time he would be arrested as he admitted to have been caught by the police sometime in 2012 after he bought a stolen Peugeot car from his neighbour.

He admitted to have continued in his life of crime after he was released. Mohammed revealed further to have been introduced to the leader of the car snatching syndicate,
He said, "I bought I total of about seven cars from Ejike. The police arrested one of my boys when he came to collect the Honda CRV car. I didn't know that the car belong to Channels Television.

"It was my boy that was arrested that brought the police to my place in Kano. After my arrest, I was brought to Lagos where I assisted the police to arrest other members of the gang," stressed the ex footballer.

CP Aderanti while addressing journalists said the other members of the gang were arrested from their hide out at Ikorodu.

He said the police retrieved two locally made double barrel guns, four live cartridges, one CRV Jeep with registration No. LSD 322 CK, one Peugeot car with registration No. AU 380 KWL, one Toyota Camry with registration No. GRZ 42 AA and Honda Accord Saloon car with registration No. KSF 95 DB.

He said the arrest of the gang was sequel to a case of conspiracy and armed robbery which was reported by a staff of Channels Television.

Upon receipt of the information, the Officer-in-charge of the Special Anti Robbery Squad (SARS), Abba Kyari, was directed to carry out an in-depth investigations into the matter.

He said, "Kyari staged a massive manhunt for the criminals. Eventually three members of the gang, Bali,  Emeka and Ejike were arrested by two SARS decoy teams led by Kyari at Ojodu and Ikorodu areas of Lagos."

He said that the suspects and the exhibits would soon be charged to court.

Source: ThisDay Live
Police Arrest Ex-Niger Tornadoes Footballer, Seven Others for Robbery Reviewed by Msl on 10:06 pm Rating: 5

No comments:

All Rights Reserved by The Niger Times © 2015
Powered By Blogger, Designed by NT Studios

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

The Niger Times © 2015. Powered by Blogger.